Meatless Monday - African Stew featuring Chick Peas
Chick peas are the main ingredient of this dish I will work weekly to offer recipes to support the Meatless Monday Campaign. As I am always one to change up the flavors and the spices to keep this...
I will work weekly to offer recipes to support the Meatless Monday Campaign. As I am always one to change up the flavors and the spices to keep this healthy eating enjoyable, this is a favorite everyone always seems to enjoy. Great spices and the unusual addition of Peanut Butter. I like to use the chunky variety to add more texture to this dish. It stew is great with a side salad and makes a very hardy dish. The main ingredient of this recipe is Chick Peas or Garbanzo Beans.
There is always a debate, can I use these drained and rinsed Chick Peas/Garbanzo Beans from the can, or should I take the time to make the dried legume? For this recipe, the canned variety is fine, if they are drained and rinsed well. If any of the skins have separated, I will take the time to pick these out and discard. I prefer making my Humus with dried Chick Peas/Garbanzo Beans I have prepared. I soak these overnight and then bring to a boil in homemade Vegetable Stock.
Chick Pea & Peanut Stew
- 1 can Chick Peas/Garbanzo Beans – drained & rinsed
- 1 onion - chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic – minced
- 1 – 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded, deveined and finely chopped
*** Other optional veggies that can be added to make this an even richer Stew include:
Roasted cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, red, yellow or orange peppers, and/or spinach. Frozen Peas are an option too. Add these frozen. I am not a fan of the peas in this Stew.
- 2 cups of vegetable stock
- 4 – 5 tablespoons of peanut butter or almond butter – I like chunky for this recipe as I always look for ways to add texture. Start with 4 tablespoons and taste
- 1 16 oz. can of tomatoes – Hunt’s Fire Roasted Tomatoes are excellent
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander power
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder – Be careful, this stains clothes!
- Cook onion in stock or a bit of oil until softened. Add garlic and bloom the dried spices for about 5 minutes.
- Add veggies as desired. I roast all Veggies ahead as a time-saver. I like and suggest roasted cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, red or yellow peppers, and/or spinach. Frozen peas are an option too. Add these frozen.
- Then all other ingredients, use only as much stock as you wish to create a stew-like consistency.
- Simmer for 10 minutes so that everything is warmed through.
**** Cayenne or hot pepper flakes can be added for more spice/heat.
Serves 4 – 6. I always at least double this recipe. This stew re-warms and freezes well.
Serve this with a Spinach Salad for a great Meatless Monday Meal.
What is your best suggestion for a Meatless Meal?